Oregon opens season against Arkansas State
WHO: The defending Rose Bowl Champion, the University of Oregon, takes on defending Sun Belt Conference champion, Arkansas State.
WHEN: 7:30 p.m., Saturday at Autzen Stadium
WEATHER: Sunny, high of 80 degrees.
REMINDER: The UO, including Autzen Stadium, is smoke- and tobacco-free.
ON THE AIR
National Television: ESPN with Joe Tessitore (play by play), Matt Millen (analyst) and Shelley Smith (reporter).
Local Radio: Oregon IMG with Jerry Allen (play by play) and Mike Jorgensen (analyst). Satellite Radio: XM 198, Sirius 94.
During Saturday's game a pair of award-winning UO faculty members will be recognized.
Jennifer W. Reynolds, assistant professor, and faculty fellow and associate director, Appropriate Dispute Resolution Program at the University of Oregon School of Law, received the Ersted Award for Distinguished Teaching.
In addition, Reynolds was chosen to receive the 2012 Orlando J. Hollis Teaching Award, the law school’s highest teaching honor. Reynolds teaches courses on Civil Procedure, Mediation and Negotiation. She brings her research on organizational dispute systems design, problem-solving in multiparty scenarios, judicial decision making within the context and constraints of rules of procedure, and cultural influences and implications of alternative processes to bear on some of the most difficult and time-intensive courses offered at the law school.
John F. Helmer, executive director of the Orbis Cascade Alliance and long-time University of Oregon librarian, has been named the 2012 winner of the American Library Association’s Hugh C. Atkinson Memorial Award.
The national award recognizes an academic librarian who has made significant contributions in the area of library automation or management and has made notable improvements in library services or research.
Saturday's game is the first meeting between the Ducks and Red Wolves.
- Fans are encouraged to wear green.
- Oregon is 1-2 in season openers under fourth-year head coach Chip Kelly and 31-2 in all other regular season games.
- Sophomore De'Anthony Thomas was the only player in the nation in 2011 with 400 or more yards rushing (595), receiving (605) and returning (1,035). He led the Pac-12 and ranked seventh nationally with 2,235 all-purpose yards.
- Thomas averaged a touchdown every 6.3 touches from scrimmage in 2011.
- The Ducks averaged 7.21 yards per play on offense in 2011, fourth nationally and first among teams with more rushing yards than passing yards.
- The UO averaged a point every 32.6 seconds of possession in 2011, most among BCS AQ schools and second nationally behind Houston (32.3).
- Oregon comes into 2012 as the only school in conference history to average 40-plus points per game in consecutive seasons.
- The Ducks are the only team in the Pac-12 to have at least one 1,000-yard rusher each of past five seasons.
- Since 1994 Oregon has a league-best 104 Pac-12 wins and possesses a winning record against every conference foe.
- The UO's 25 conference wins over the past three seasons are the most in college football.
Game photos and preview information: goducks.com